Food for Chihuahuas needs to be carefully selected. Unlike most of other dog breeds, Chihuahuas are picky eaters. Almost all commercial foods do not meet their nutritional needs. It is easy to make them fell full, but hard to provide them with sufficient nutrients and minerals. This article will help you to choose the right foods for your Chihuahuas.
Best dog food for Chihuahua puppy?
Food for Chihuahuas needs to be high in protein. Most ready-to-eat dog foods available at pet shops or grocery stores have a large amount of fillers (cornmeal, tapioca,…), which are almost useless for Chihuahuas, whose digestive system is mainly for digesting protein and very little carbohydrate. Almost all commercial dog foods, even premium ones contain fillers. They are thus not suitable for the picky Chihuahua.
Home-cooked meal is the best at providing nutritions. Chihuahuas eat very little, so a small amount of meat (or something high in protein) is enough for their diet. Their favorite food is chicken, containing a lot of protein. Pork (lean meat) is not a bad choice. If your budget allows, beef is the best as it is high in protein and low in fat. Protein-rich, nutritious and easy to cook, duck eggs are also a good choice. One duck egg is enough to keep a Chihuahua full for a whole day. Organs such as liver, kidney and heart contain a lot of nutrients.
>> You May Also Like:
- Chihuahua price range. Where to buy Chihuahua puppies?
- Teacup & Toy Poodle price range. Standard & Miniature Poodle price
- Pomeranian puppy price range & cost. How much are pomeranian puppies?
- Best decorative dog crates. Dog kennel end table & TV stand reviews
Avoid foods high in fat as they can cause diarrhea. In addition, starches and vegetables need to be included in their diet. Fruit juice can be used to supplement vitamins and minerals. Some vegetables that Chihuahuas enjoy are:
- Carrots, broccoli, cauliflowers provide fiber and many minerals.
- Apples, pears, bananas (small pieces), grapes provide additional vitamins and antioxidants.
- Starchy foods such as rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, noodles … provide a lot of energy. Corn should not be avoided because it is difficult for their digestive system to digest.
If you see Chihuahuas feed on grass (even feces), that means they are undernourished and their diet needs to be adjusted accordingly.
How often should Chihuahuas eat a day?
Giving them 3 meals a day is reasonable, with each meal about 6 hours apart. The amount of food per meal depends on factors such as their age, activity level and health status. Chihuahua puppies (under one year old) need more food than older ones. The exact calculation of calorie intake is quite complex. A simpler way to adjust the amount of calories per meal is to check the dog’s weight.